So you’re considering to file for bankruptcy, but the biggest concern is the cost for filing bankruptcy in Cincinnati. Well, there are generally three types of costs associated with filing for bankruptcy:
How Much Does it Cost to File for Bankruptcy in Cincinnati?
The three types of costs associate with filling are:
Court Filing Fees
- The attorney's fees for Chapter 7 can vary greatly. It can be as low as $600 to $2,000.
- The attorney's fees for Chapter 13 are $3,5000 in Cincinnati.
- Both Chapter 7 & Chapter 13 require you to complete a pre-filing and post-filing credit counseling course.
- These courses cost anywhere from $15.00 to $50.00.
- Additionally, you should expect your bankruptcy attorney to obtain your credit report prior to filing the case. The credit report fees can range from $33.00 to $63.00.
Payment Options for Court Filing Fees
There are payment options available depending on your circumstances. If you are unsure in which type of bankruptcy to file, learn about the differences between Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy and talk to our bankruptcy attorney.
The first option is to pay for the filing fee entirely up front. The second option is to divide up the court filing fee into four monthly payments that are made directly to the bankruptcy court. The last option is to request the bankruptcy court waive the court filing fees based off of your income and expenses.
Check with an attorney to determine whether the court filing fees can be waived for your case.
Do not let the attorney’s fees determine who you select to be your bankruptcy attorney. As the old saying goes, “you get what you pay for”. If an attorney is charging very little, it could mean that he’s spending very little time working on your case.
The attorney fees for Chapter 13 are lot more than a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, but Chapter 13 bankruptcy cases are more complex and require more time.
But there’s good news regarding attorney’s fees in Chapter 13 bankruptcy: Only a portion of the attorney’s fees are requested up front while the remaining balance is paid through the Chapter 13 plan.
If you have more questions about the costs associated with filing for bankruptcy or if you’d like to discuss your case, please feel free to contact the Southard Law Firm at 513-441-7770 for a free phone consultation in Cincinnati.